* Exported from MasterCook *
Stewed Dog (wedding style)
Recipe By : Joe Sweeney
Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : Ethnic Lamb
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 kg dog meat -- * see note
1 1/2 cups vinegar
60 peppercorns -- crushed
6 tablespoons salt
12 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup cooking oil
6 cups onion -- sliced
3 cups tomato sauce
10 cups boiling water
6 cups red pepper -- cut into strips
6 pieces bay leaf
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cups liver spread -- ** see note
1 whole fresh pineapple -- cut 1/2 inch thick
1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be
used in other recpies)
3. Cut meat into 1″ cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar, peppercorn,
salt and garlic for 2 hours.
4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and
chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and
6. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread
and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.
* you can substiture lamb for dog. The taste is similar, but not as pungent.
** smooth liver pate will do as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Suggested Wine: San Miguel Beer
Serving Ideas : Rice, naturally.
NOTES : During my wedding reception, my brother- in-law suggested we add to the
feast by having dog stew. Wanting to be part of the family, and having been
subjected to all sorts of socials tests already, I agreed. The result was...
well.. a lot better than I expected. In fact, it was great!
It was only later I found out that dog should *not* be served at weddings, as
it may make the bride and groom flight like dogs during the honeymoon. But what
the heck. It didn't seem to have that effect... at least not until a few year
For the faint of heart, you can always substitute lamb in place of next door's
rover, but the meat will not be as sweet or as rich in flavor.
Nutr. Assoc. : 3831 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.